Tuesday, May 19, 2009

From Russian writer, Alexander Pushkin

I Lifted this beautiful poem from a friends blog. http://willowtreepoetry.blogspot.com/
It is called "I loved you" By Russian Writer Alexander Pushkin (1799-1837) But interestingly I have found two poems credited to Alexander from the same date. Clearly the poem must have been origionally written in Russian, so I dont know if there are two different poems or two different versions, or two different interpatations. I think both are lovely. Here is the first.

I loved You
I loved you; and perhaps I love you still,
The flame, perhaps, is not extinguished; yet
It burns so quietly within my soul,
No longer should you feel distressed by it.
Silently and hopelessly I loved you,
At times too jealous and at times too shy.
God grant you find another who will love you
As tenderly and truthfully as I.

Here is the Second

I loved You
I loved you; even now I may confess,
Some embers of my love their fire retain;
But do not let it cause you more distress,
I do not want to sadden you again.
Hopeless and tongue-tied, yet I loved you dearly,
With pangs the jealous and the timid know;
So tenderly I loved you, so sincerely,
I pray God grant another love you so.


You can see more from my friends blog at:
http://willowtreepoetry.blogspot.com/

1 Comments:

Blogger Caryn said...

Hey that's my favorite poem too! :)

Thanks for stealing it and giving me the ad space on your blog!

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home